[esp-r] Re: Is there certain ratio of infiltration & ventilation rate when we have ventailation rate only?

Achim Geissler achim.geissler at intergga.ch
Mon Sep 14 20:55:51 BST 2009

Dear Mark

generally, you will have an infiltration rate. How large this is
depends on the air tightness of your building envelope, the
distribution of leakages and the stack and wind pressure differences
(these will change all the time).

If you have a balanced ventilation system, you will also typically
have a pressure differential across the building envelope due to this
system. If your leakages are large, your ventilation system may even
not work as expected. The same is true for when your ventilation
system ducts are not airtight enough.

There are no general rules on how such leakages are distributed and
how large they are. As a guideline, you can incorporate leakages such
that the desired air tightness class according to standards is
achieved. Distribute these leakages according to construction
probabilities (e.g. windows, joints etc.)

Best regards
Achim

achim.geissler at intergga.ch