[esp-r] Re: Is there certain ratio of infiltration & ventilation rate when we have ventailation rate only?

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Mon Sep 14 15:33:13 BST 2009

A question about ventilation and infiltration...

Please note that the word ventilation in ESP-r refers to air moving between
zones (forced or natural) and infiltraition in ESP-r refers to air from the
outside (forced or natural via cracks etc.).

Few buildings have no infiltration, even the best detailing and workers
find it difficult to do this.  An exception is buildings which are pressurized
and even these will have some unintentional flows under some wind conditions
and the over-pressure has to come from someplace.

A mechanically ventilated building has some fresh air make-up air.  Somehow your
model would need to account for this because there is almost always a cost
for tempering the fresh air make-up air whether it is done within the mechanical
ventilation system or causes a demand when it enters the room.  There are
many ways to represent this in ESP-r - it depends on the design of the
building and the systems.

Regards, Jon Hand