[myplace-announce] Recent Myplace Unavailability

Scott Walker scott.walker at strath.ac.uk
Fri Jan 24 16:44:05 GMT 2014

Dear Colleagues,

There have been intermittent problems with Myplace since Tuesday morning. Although the problems occurred immediately after a planned upgrade, there is no evidence that the issue was caused by this and indeed the upgrade had been tested and was not expected to have any impact.  The upgrade had been arranged by Educational Enhancement for Tuesday 21st January in direct response to requests from the Students' Association and Faculties that there is no downtime during the January exam diet.

On Tuesday infrastructure changes were made and this resolved the issue at that point.  Myplace ran without incident through Wednesday, Thursday and the start of Friday.
Similar symptoms reappeared this morning at about 10.20 and we are now conducting a root and branch examination with colleagues from Information Services of all aspects of the system from the code, the database configuration and the hardware.  We are not yet certain about the cause.

We are sorry for the inconvenience - we are working flat out to both diagnose and solve the problem and do not at present have a timescale for its completion.  The service is currently up and we are monitoring the performance as users come online.  There is currently a normal Friday load on the system.   We would not advise the service be used for examinations while investigations and work are continuing and we will communicate again to advise on progress.
Regards,

Scott

Scott Walker
Deputy Head of Education Enhancement
Student Experience and Enhancement Services (SEES)
T::     +44 (0) 141 548 3879
E::     scott.walker at strath.ac.uk<mailto:scott.walker at strath.ac.uk>
University of Strathclyde | R2.61 McCance Building | 16 Richmond Street  | Glasgow G1 1XQ
The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, number SC015263