[esp-r] adding thermal mass

Juanita Solano Guzmán juanita.solano94 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 10:01:29 BST 2019

Good morning,

I am currently working on a model from a single office in in one building
and by looking at my results, I see that I am lacking thermal mass. Based
on some general knowledge I have from the construction of this building, I
have added some layers of cement in the ceiling and the floor. I don´t know
how the internal walls have been constructed, but I have also added a layer
of cement facing the inside of the room.

In general, after multiple attempts I have not been able to add enough
thermal mass and I have some undesired temperature peaks and lows.
Regarding this I have the following questions:

1) Does ESP-r consider the thickness of the walls or are they "thin
surfaces"? that means that it does not consider any heat being stored in
these constructions. Same would go for the ceiling and floor?
2) Without adding any phase-change materials, is there a way to add thermal
mass in the office? Does adding furniture help or are they just for visual
purposes?

Thank you very much in advance.

Greetings,
Juanita