[esp-r] Re: adding thermal mass

Joe Clarke joe at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Jul 17 11:51:59 BST 2019

Hi Juanita

ESP-r includes the thermal mass of all constructions and, yes, adding
furnishings will increase the thermal mass. Before using a model, we
often carry out a quick pulse test to determine the cool-down rate. This
gives us a target for additional thermal mass. A pulse test involves
heating up (or cooling down) one or more spaces until a reasonable
temperaure difference exists with outside (10 C for example) and then
observing the cool down (or heat up) rate.

Also, make sure that you have not inadvertently isolated thermal mass
by, for example, placing an insulation layer at an incorrect location.

Regards,

Joe

__
Professor J A Clarke
Director, ESRU and BRE Centre of Excellence
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
James Weir Building
75 Montrose Street
University of Strathclyde