[esp-r] Re: Phase Change Material

Achim Geissler achim.geissler at intergga.ch
Tue Oct 29 20:20:49 GMT 2013

Dear Thomas,

if you look in the file mscomp.db1 you will find the description for the simple model (53):

beyond phase change temperature range latent heat of material is
equal to 0. In phase change temperature range latent heat is:
1 - constant LHT=b
2 - linear function of temperature LHT=aT+b
according to this two cases can be considered:
1 - latent heat is constant in temperature range (Ts-Tm),
    y=ax+b (a=0, b=latent heat [J/kg*K])
2 - latent heat is a linear function of temperature,
    y=ax+b (a=latent heat [J/kg*K^2], b=latent heat [J/kg*K])

According to this, your approach will likely work numerically, however, if the actual behaviour / results have anything to do with reality is a totally different question.

Some suggestions:
- If you are working under contract, be sure to clearly define the extremely limited information you are basing your simulations on and the possible consequences of this to your client
- if you are working scientifically, then be sure to collect more information on the PCM

achim.geissler at intergga.ch