[esp-r] Parent and Child surfaces

Adam Wills adamwills at cmail.carleton.ca
Tue Oct 8 02:58:02 BST 2013

Hello,

Are the established Parent/child relationships used in bps.exe? Or any of
the other modules? Or is it simply for user feedback? Also, is it generally
just bad practice to populate a parent surface with so many children?

I received an ESP-r model from a colleague of mine a few weeks back. It
contained a wall with 4 child surfaces (representing studs, glazing,
glazing frame, etc.). When I tried to view the zone containing the parent
wall in prj.exe, I received a Fortran runtime error. I traced the error
back to the subroutine SURREL in egeometry.F, which deals with determining
parent/child relationships with surfaces. It doesn't seem to enjoy a
surface with many children.

Cheers,

Adam Wills