[esp-r] Re: Parent and Child surfaces

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Oct 8 08:30:51 BST 2013

Parent child relationships are used in limited ways - it allows the software to
initially assign the same boundary condition to the child.  It is used when scanning
for possible (linear) thermal bridge types and also to help clean up unused
vertices when deleting children.

The arrays in SURREL were sized to cope with the variety of models that I
had access to. Clearly none of them had that many children. As far as I
know bps does not use any of the child parent data structures.

The other place where it could fall apart is that the number of edges in the parent surface
gets un-managable or exceeds the polygon array limits.  Most people cannot
reliably work with such complexity and that is the real limit.  I would say that
it would be better in the planning stage to recognize the likely complexity
and have more surfaces.

It would probably not be difficult to increase the array size in surrel.  And
if the glazing was a child of the frame then it would not have tripped the
logic.  Perhaps some logic could be added to detect and disallow really
complex situations.

-Jon