[esp-r] Re: CFD conflation options

Andrew Cowie cn06arc at leeds.ac.uk
Sat Jul 27 18:54:09 BST 2013

Thanks Achim,

I appreciate that the CFD in ESP-r is seldom used, but I figured someone on here must have coded it!

The recent email was in regard to overall conflation options, specified on line 2 of the dfd file "*conflation #". A quick grep of the exemplars reveals instances of conflation 0, 1 and 4. I know 4 is adaptive, inferring from the old help text I guess 0 is CFD only, but 1 is a mystery to me; it seems to basically work (though I can't get it to converge) but the help text suggests that this is a defunct mode that was superceded by the adaptive conflation controller. Tests confirm that conflation types 2 and 3 no longer function correctly.

In regard to your answers, I had essentially a "no" from Aizaz for question 1 of my first three questions, which is interesting as it would mean that there is currently no supported means of conflating the airflow. My tests so far seem to confirm this, as conflation 4 will generally either refuse to converge or throw up an error in mfsolv when the airflow network is included. Occasionally it can be coerced to converge, but this takes a great deal of reducing the relaxation factors and at least 10,000 iterations, so I can't help but feel it's not working quite right. This is quite frustrating as I'm trying to create case study models which are subject to largely wind-driven airflow. It is possible though that it does technically work but my model is too complex to get a solution, this is my next avenue of investigation.

For question 2 from my first three I found an option in CFD boundary condition creation that appears to correctly conflate openings with airflow connections. This creates extra nodes in the airflow network, but these are "hidden" nodes as they do not appear in the afn file. This seems reasonable considering what I know of the conflation mechanisms, so I can only assume that the code to do it still exists despite the retirement of conflation type 3 and the apparent non-applicability of conflation type 4.

I would love nothing more than to spend months doggedly un-picking these tangles from the code, but unfortunately I have a thesis due in fairly short order, so any ideas for "quick-fix" workarounds anyone may have would be very helpful.

Thanks all,
Andy

Sent from mobile