[esp-r] CFD-mass flow network conflation

Andrew Cowie cn06arc at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Jul 30 14:04:31 BST 2013

Hi all,

After much fiddling and testing, i can now confirm that adaptive conflation (conflation 4) CAN be conflated with both the building simulation and the mass flow network.  Results seem reasonable so I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that it works correctly, i have neither the time nor the experimental measurements to validate it to any significant degree.

For the benefit of anyone wishing to do this, I have found that wind-driven flows tend to somewhat vex the standard k-epsilon turbulence model, and convergence is generally very difficult to achieve.  For my models the fixed eddy viscosity zero-equation model appears to work exceptionally well, though as I'm sure any CFD buff will tell you it must be kept in mind that this is a rather simplified turbulence model, and results should be taken with a pinch of salt; if you are looking to accurately model the airflow patterns in the room i would recommend against using this.  Also, be aware that it will take quite a long time (about 3 hours for 24 time steps with my models).

Thanks to all for what assistance and comments were offered.  Frankly i don't understand why the CFD in ESP-r isn't used more, the adaptive conflation controller is a work of genius and the conflation in general takes a good deal of the guesswork out of the CFD.

Cheers,
Andy Cowie