[esp-r] Re: Control of air volume

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 10:26:33 GMT 2012

Look in the exemplar models which implement mass flow control.  The
ON/OFF control will test a condition and decide whether flow is applicable
at that timestep.  It then multiplies the nominal capacity of the component by
the fraction-of-capacity applicable at that timestep to get the flow rate to use.

Thus - a fraction capacity of zero should result in zero flow for ON as well as OFF
state.  I would expect you to use a fraction-of-capacity of 1.0 if you want the
ON condition to result in the nominal flow rate.  If the fraction-of-capacity was
0.5 then an ON state should result in half the nominal flow rate of the component.

This is what is used with constant volume flow components. It should also
apply to constant mass flow components.