[esp-r] Re: Some bugs in subsys.F ?

Ferguson, Alex Alex.Ferguson at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Thu Apr 28 21:43:11 BST 2011

Greetings from windy Ottawa!

I'm the author of recent changes [r6485] to subsys.F that alter use of
the PREC5N variables. In this revision, I modified MZVNT to allow more
flexibility in specifying infiltration air flow. These changes permit
switching from one air flow computation method to another (AIM-2,
scheduled flow and air-flow network) mid-simulation depending on the
operating conditions in the building.

Prior to r6485, ESP-r held air infiltration and ventilation flow
conductance in the CVIN and CVVN arrays, in common PREC5N.  By default,
ESP-r assumes that the air flow rates are specified by hourly schedules
in the .opr file. CVIN and CVVN thus contain up to 72 separate flow
rates for each zone: one for each hour (1-24) in each of the three day
types (weekday/Saturday/Sunday). The routine MZVENC establishes values
CVIN and CVVN prior to commencing simulation using the static air change
rates specified in the .opr file.  During the simulation, ESP-r reads
the infiltration and ventilation data for the current hour and day type
from these arrays.

Rather than create a specific data structure, the air flow network
exploited the same variables for imposing network-computed infiltration
and ventilation flows on the building thermal model. There two
deficiencies with this approach:

*
	It's cumbersome. Because CVIN and CVVN are designed to hold
hourly schedules, the air-flow network had to locate the correct array
location (that is, the current day type and hour) to save the data in,
even though these parameters had no relevance to the air-flow network
computation. This not only requires extra code; it also obfuscates the
purpose of the CVIN/CVVN arrays.
*
	It erases the original schedules held in CVIN and CVVN.  These
arrays are populated prior to simulation by routine MZVENC. By
repurposing them, the air flow network overwrites the original flow
schedules with time-step computed values. This prevents re-imposing the
.opr schedules mid-simulation-a key objective in our work.

For these reasons, I elected to revise routines MZVENT and MFLW2B to use
dedicated variables when imposing infiltration and ventilation on the
building thermal domain.  I introduced a new common block AfnToBldData
common for this purpose.

Regarding your observations Sara, I'm not sure I understand your
comments. When the opr schedule or AIM-2 models are in effect,
ventilation is still governed by the hourly ventilation schedule-and
therefore should be established via CVVN as per line 1769. I'm also
unsure what you're suggesting regarding line 1897. The if statement has
two clauses: bAFN = TRUE for air flow networks, and an else clause
otherwise. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

- Alex
Alex Ferguson
Housing, Buildings and Communities Group
CanmetENERGY
Natural Resources Canada
P:+1 613 995 3294
F:+1 613 996 9909