[esp-r] Naturally ventilated office cooling loads

Cathal Quinn cathal.quinn at ucdconnect.ie
Tue Apr 19 18:32:47 BST 2011

Dear All,

I am currently modelling an office space and comparing a simple heating/cooling scenario with a naturally ventilated scenario
The control parameters I have implement are from 22-26 degrees with my windows set to open using the range based command from 23-26 degrees with the high setpoint at 24. My simulation period is from April to September (cooling season) using the Dublin weather file. Its quite a similar scenario setup to the training model on natural ventilation included with the ESP-r distribution. My question is simply can anyone provide me with a clear explanation as to why introducing a natural ventilation strategy such as this increases my heating load quite substantially. I know its probably the voice of inexperience talking but I would have imagined the heating load to remain relatively constant while the cooling load drops

Thanking you in advance for any help provided

Kind Regards
Cathal