[esp-r] Re: Sketchup plug in for ESP-r - is there one out there somewhere??

Scott Bucking sbucking at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 13:08:16 GMT 2011

Hi All,

Just a quick comment. Rather than going Sketchup to/from ESP-r directly why
not focus on converting e+ files to ESP-r files and skip the added effort to
integrate/maintain the code in OpenStudio?

I think this is a project that looks like it's quick to implement at first,
but after all the time it would take to integrate properly into OpenStudio's
API (abstraction layer/interfaces/etc), on-going testing and code
maintenance (keeping in mind that the OpenStudio codebase changes quickly),
it might be easier if we were to hand the OpenStudio development team an
isolated script with bi-directional geometry/material conversion (espr
from/to e+) and add it as a menu option in OpenStudio.  I know Jon has
actively been persuing this already (at least one direction, albeit for an
older version of e+) and it would have additional uses in PRJ.

Conversion would then be:
ESP-r -> E+ -> Sketch-Up
or
Sketch-up -> E+ -> ESP-r