[esp-r] Question on optical database

Sigalas, G. g.sigalas at student.tue.nl
Wed Feb 23 12:28:29 GMT 2011

Dear esp-r users,

I have a question regarding the optical database of esp-r.

If I open one of the exemplar models (e.g. basic 1 zone with convective heating & basic control), I have a model that uses external double glazing  construction ''dbl_glz''.

>From the database maintenance-> Constructions db -> dbl_glz  I can see that my construction has an optical property ''DCF7671_06nb''

Surprisingly this optical property is not in the optical database ''optics.db2''. The only optical properties available are S properties (''SC_8985''   up to ''SAZ5060''). However, the simulation can be performed normally, even though the construction and optical properties do not match.

The weird thing is that if I go to the ''surface attributes'' and change the current glazing construction dbl_glz but select the same construction again, then I get an error message (Optics in geo file do not match etc....). Even though I use the same construction as before.

In the esp-r  database folder there are two optical properties databases, db1 and db2. In db1 there are only S properties and in db2 there are all the properties (S and D). Strangely, even though in the esp-r menu the optical database is ''optics.db2'', the values are the one from db1 (only S properties)! If I change the optical database to db2 the simulation can be run without errors.

My question is how can the initial simulation be run with different construction and optical properties and why in esp-r I see only S optical properties since in optics.db2 there are  S and D properties?

I am using esp-r 11.9 through cygwin in windows 7 32bit.

Thank you,
Georgios Sigalas