[esp-r] Re: Question on optical database

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Feb 23 21:54:40 GMT 2011

I suspect you have a corrupted optics.db1.  The standard version has many more
sets of optics.  Really the only difference between optics.db1 and optics.db2 is
additional documentation and more decimal places in the data.  Models should
be using optics.db2 rather than optics.db1.

There was a recent patch made to ESP-r related to the not-matching optics warning.
The code is a bit smarter now.

A model might simulate (not blow up) but that does not necessarily mean that
the predictions are correct. The simulator is designed to scan the model
zone construction and tmc files and use the information in those files so
it is not particularly dependent on the databases existing.

If you change the model and update the zone construction and tmc files then the database
information will be scanned and at that point problems in the databases might impact
your model.