[esp-r] Re: Effect of PCM in roof construction

Achim.geissler achim.geissler at intergga.ch
Tue Dec 14 14:33:20 GMT 2010

Dear Francesco

I don't have direct experience with PCM on an external roof felt,
however have done some calculations in regard to adding external thermal
mass to a facade panel (in the form of a heavy plaster board).

In general, depending on the insulation between thermal mass and the
interior, the effect was small to insignificant (the better the insulation,
of course, the smaller the effect). I would assume that you will find
something similar with the PCM.

If you are using the original data for the (original) ESP-r PCM, then I
think it is a "low temperature" type (i.e. designed for indoor air
temperatures). If used on a roof with direct solar radiation, it will most
likely quickly melt and then behave as "any old material" in terms of heat
capacity. Also, "roof felt" sounds like very little PCM mass.

All said, I would expect only a small effect on internal temperatures
(whatever "small" means, here  ;o) ).

--------- Original-Nachricht --------