[esp-r] Re: radiant and convective split for occupants

Achim.geissler achim.geissler at intergga.ch
Tue Dec 14 10:04:53 GMT 2010

Hi Jon

there is, of course, no single pair of numbers. The distribution highly
depends on surroundings, activity rate and clothing level.

As CIBSE Guide A (chapter 6.3) states, "between 20 and 60% of the sensible
heat emission can be radiant depending on type of clothing, activity, mean
radiant temperature and air velocity".

The ASHRAE Fundamentals have an extensive chapter on Physiological
Principles and Thermal Comfort and give equations for the various heat
transfer mechanisms.

For "sedentiary office work", I have a (german) source that gives approx. 40
% radiative at 20 °C and approx 32 % radiative at 26 °C office temperatures
(with total sensible heat loss of 90 and 70 W, respectively - the total
value is approx. 120 W for both temperatures). Interestingly, this source
discerns between radiative, conductive and convective. But the conductive
part is only approx. 8 - 10 % and is probably usually added to the
convective part.

--------- Original-Nachricht --------