[esp-r] Re: Error (17)

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Sat Jul 17 10:58:44 BST 2010

A user attempted to access models on a mounted file store....

This is going to be rather difficult to debug because of the combination of
machine types and operating systems.

One step is to attempt to create a shoe-box model on the /home/projects
folder and the same model on the local machine.  Then look at the
differences in all the files (use kompare or something like that). That
could identify something.

If I had this kind of setup I would probably be running the project manager
executable in a debugger such as DDD or gdb and I would set a break-point
near a point in the source where a file write is about to happen and see
at what line (and perhaps for what cause) the failure happened.

The thing that might be the issue is the Xserve.  File permissions might
be an issue - various users probably need to be in the same group
to read and write to the folder.

Note that ESP-r was not written with the idea that multiple people
might be accessing a model at the same time.  To prevent some forms
of chaos some groups adopt a policy of checking out a model from the central model
store and work on it and then upload the model back to the file
store at intervals.

The other possible problem might be the path length.  If that gets
long then file names are truncated.

The specific message was about attempting to open  ../databases/multicon.db
 - does that file exist in the model folder?

And while I am thinking about it - the recommended folder to be in when
opening up an existing model is in the models cfg folder.

Regards, Jon Hand