[esp-r] 18 Floor Apartment Building

Ian McCall ijmccall at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 23 17:23:17 BST 2010

Good-day!

I am new to the ESP-r world and would like a recommendation of how to accurately
/ efficiently model the energy consumption of an 18 floor apartment building.
 Attached are two floor plans of the 1st and 2nd floors (please note that there
are significant inconsistencies between the two plans ie. the location of
elevators, and stairs etc..). The 1st floor has 47 rooms which I have combined
into 10 different zones. The 2nd floor has 39 rooms that I have combined into 11
zones (4 apartments per floor + 1 stairwell + 2 elevator shafts + 4 loggias
/ mezzanines). The floors numbered 3-18 have the same geometry as the 2nd
floor.

Specific questions:

1) I have decided to enter the geometrical data directly into ESP-r model. I
think that this is easier then using a 3rd party program (dwg / dxf files) to
create the floor plans and then later import the files into ESP-r. Was this the
right choice?

2) I have created the 5 floors of geometry and have noticed that I will quickly
run out of zones. Can I simplify my model to 2 or 3 floors and then extrapolate
the results for an 18 storey building?

3) I have combined all the rooms in the apartments into one large zone and one
small zone; hence I am assuming very well-mixed conditions /
temperature distributions within a large air volume. Is this combination of
rooms possible or do I need to keep the room / apartment complexity in order to
accurately model the network flow / dynamic infiltrations?

4) A 5 floor building with 10/11 zones per floor leads to a very visually
complicated model in ESP-r. It is very difficult to modify zones / grometry
etc.. due to the visual complexity. Is there a way to hide zones?

I am sure more questions will arise as I dive further into modelling this
building.

Cordially,
Ian

L'école des Mines de Nantes