[esp-r] Re: 18 Floor Apartment Building

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Jun 23 18:00:53 BST 2010

This is one of those cases where starting small and only proceeding with complexity
after working practices become well established is recommended.  Being new-to-esp-r
and attempting complex models can be a frustrating experience ;-(

The level of detail in the model directly relates to the nature of the questions
posed by the client.  What kind of performance is of concern to you and to the
client?

For questions that do not require a high level of geometric resolution and for
large building with lots of similar spaces an experienced user would do the
ground floor, a couple of middle floors and the top floor and use the scaling
functions within ESP-r to arrive at the performance of the whole building.

If you do one or two zones per apartment you may be undercounting the
impact of internal partitions (lots of them in typical apartments) so be
sure to add some internal mass surfaces in the zones (there is a special
facility to add horizontal or vertical mass into a room).

If the client is interested in finding out the typical performance of different
types of apartments in the building then some practitioners would select
several apartments and represent them explicitly (3-4 zones per apartment)
and deliver specific information to the client and then look at the heating and cooling patterns
and scale them up to the full area of the building.

There are ways to limit the display to a few selected zones (look for the
zones-to-include option in the wire-frame controls).

And putting in the geometry within ESP-r can be efficient - fully attributed
zones can easily be copied and transformed to new locations.  The ESP-r
Cookbook talks about this.  But if you copy to soon you will have a lot
of attribution to complete in the copied zones.

If you are working on Linux or OSX or Cygwin with the X11 interface there
is a click-on-bitmap facility that allows experienced users to input
dozens of zones very quickly (it takes practice and good planning skills
to do this well).

Regards, Jon Hand