[esp-r] Re: Underground temperature?

Achim Geissler achim.geissler at intergga.ch
Wed Sep 30 08:22:08 BST 2009

Dear Marco

thank you for the information. That is how I also understand the climate
data is generated (actually, for Germany, it is usually a mix of
measurements over many years and some "statistically generated" data). But,
air temperatures etc. then also do not take any buildings (or cities, dens
construction sites etc.) into account. So we have the same issue here.

I would assume that any model using ground temperatures should in some way
take this into account. The data can only be for "uninfluenced ground",
because the data cannot (should not) include any building influence as this
will depend on how deep the building reaches and how well it is thermally
insulated from the ground (among other things).

The "stat" file says "do not use for 'GroundTemperatures object'" but also
says

   -   The temperatures for 0.5 m depth can be used for
GroundTemperatures:Surface.

   -   The temperatures for 4.0 m depth can be used for
GroundTemperatures:Deep.

which seems to refer to a specific calculation model / procedure.

Just my 5 cents .

Best regards

Achim