[esp-r] Re: ESP-r Installation on Ubuntu 9.04: How do you run it?

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Jul 24 09:53:02 BST 2009

A question about "bash: esp-r: command not found
I am a newbie to Ubuntu/Linux/Unix and last used command line instructions and text programming in the eighties in my youth. I have a limited experience of windows command line since. I am using Ubuntu’s latest release, Jaunty Jackalope the 9.04 release.
I have managed to compile from the central source code by following the instruction in “Installing Ubuntu 8.04 for use with ESP-r 8 May 2009 Jon W. Hand, ESRU, Glasgow, Scotland.”
This required some hacking about with finding the corresponding libraries and installation via Synaptic, and I’ve had a crash course introduction to command line via attempts at diagnosis.
I had no error reports on installation, all the files appear to be there as far as I can tell, I even got the XML library to install etc. and used the GNU compilers.
I’ve tried to look for an executable, read various postings, sought out linux/unix friends.
I’ve tried relating comments about configuring files (env? Etc) but the file positions are not always the same in this compilation it appears.
I’ve tried setting the terminal setting to treat command as 'shell login commands’ and have considered trying to translate the comments in the Chilean Ubuntu posting, but my Spanish isn’t up to it.

I can’t figure out how to get ESP-r to run!

When I type ‘esp-r’ in command line I get -
 bash: esp-r: command not found

Is this because -

·         I have to cd to the right directory then type ‘esp-r’ before it runs?

·         I have to change a terminal permission for command lines?

·         I have to enter some sort of PATH command into a file, move a file to the correct directory or something like that?

·         Edit a PATH command in a file?

If anyone who has installed on this release from the source code using the svn server download could help I would really appreciate it.

________________________________

For a newbe this is great progress.  Only one task left to do.

If the compile process installed the ESP-r distribution into /usr/esru  then the executables
for ESp-r will be found in /usr/esru/esp-r/bin

So the step is to use a text editor on the .profile file which should be located
in your home folder.  Locate the line in the file that includes the phrase PATH=
and change it to
   PATH="$HOME/bin:/usr/esru/esp-r/bin:$PATH"

Log out and then log back in again and try the commands
  which esp-r
  which prj
  which res

If you get a response for these then your environment has been setup.  Note
you can also start up esp-r by using the prj executable.

To find out the available command line options for a module
give the command
  prj -help
  clm -help