[esp-r] ESP-r Installation on Ubuntu 9.04: How do you run it?

Matthew Wright matthew.wright at c4ci.eu
Fri Jul 24 09:19:35 BST 2009

Hi all,

I am a newbie to Ubuntu/Linux/Unix and last used command line instructions
and text programming in the eighties in my youth. I have a limited
experience of windows command line since. I am using Ubuntu's latest
release, Jaunty Jackalope the 9.04 release.

I have managed to compile from the central source code by following the
instruction in "Installing Ubuntu 8.04 for use with ESP-r 8 May 2009 Jon W.
Hand, ESRU, Glasgow, Scotland."

This required some hacking about with finding the corresponding libraries
and installation via Synaptic, and I've had a crash course introduction to
command line via attempts at diagnosis.

I had no error reports on installation, all the files appear to be there as
far as I can tell, I even got the XML library to install etc. and used the
GNU compilers.

I've tried to look for an executable, read various postings, sought out
linux/unix friends.

I've tried relating comments about configuring files (env? Etc) but the file
positions are not always the same in this compilation it appears.

I've tried setting the terminal setting to treat command as 'shell login
commands' and have considered trying to translate the comments in the
Chilean Ubuntu posting, but my Spanish isn't up to it.

I can't figure out how to get ESP-r to run!

When I type 'esp-r' in command line I get -

 bash: esp-r: command not found

Is this because -

.         I have to cd to the right directory then type 'esp-r' before it
runs?

.         I have to change a terminal permission for command lines?

.         I have to enter some sort of PATH command into a file, move a file
to the correct directory or something like that?

.         Edit a PATH command in a file?

If anyone who has installed on this release from the source code using the
svn server download could help I would really appreciate it.

Regards

Matt

Physicist

e:  <mailto:Matthew.Wright at c4ci.eu> Matthew.Wright at c4ci.eu