[esp-r] Re: surface attributes for adjacent zones

Marco Manzan manzan at units.it
Mon Jun 15 11:13:43 BST 2009

Alle domenica 14 giugno 2009, esp-r-request at lists.strath.ac.uk ha scritto:

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 09:51:23 +0530
> From: "NALIN SWAROOP" <nalin_swaroop at iitb.ac.in>
> Subject: [esp-r]  surface attributes for adjacent zones
> To: esp-r at lists.strath.ac.uk
>
> Hello all
>
> I have a 8 floor 43 zones building but the the problem is every time I try
> to to give the boundary conditions for zone adjacency(surface in another
> zone option) for one zone and then move on to next zone, after some time I
> check the boundary conditions for the previously defines zones, they are
> changed randomly to some other surfaces in some other zones and I am not
> able to correctly define boundary conditions and the topology vertex
> connection test gives me errors. Is there a prescribed method for defining
> adjacent zones??
>
> TIA
>
> Nalin
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 10:07:53 +0530
> From: "NALIN SWAROOP" <nalin_swaroop at iitb.ac.in>
> Subject: [esp-r]  surface attributes for adjacent zones keep changing
> To: esp-r at lists.strath.ac.uk
>
> Hello all
>
> I have a 8 floor 43 zones building but the the problem is every time I try
> to to give the boundary conditions for zone adjacency(surface in another
> zone option) for one zone and then move on to next zone, after some time I
> check the boundary conditions for the previously defines zones, they are
> changed randomly to some other surfaces in some other zones and I am not
> able to correctly define boundary conditions and the topology vertex
> connection test gives me errors. Is there a prescribed method for defining
> adjacent zones??
>
> I have a similar problem to this one
> http://lists.strath.ac.uk/archives/esp-r/2006/000104.html
>
> TIA
>
> Nalin

> End of esp-r Digest, Vol 35, Issue 7
> ************************************

I had some problems with topology checking too. I finally spotted a possible
error in source code:
in file esruprj/edonecon.F I changed the following lines in routine LINDIR

       logical close
       PI = 4.0 * ATAN(1.0)
       DIST=SQRT((X2-X1)**2+(Y2-Y1)**2+(Z2-Z1)**2)
      THETA=ASIN((Z2-Z1)/DIST)
in
with

C added a check on The value of ASIN argument
C for some geometries the argument becomes greater then one the
C result is THETA = NaN
      ARG = (Z2-Z1)/DIST
      IF (abs(ARG) .LE. 1) THEN
         THETA=ASIN(ARG)
      ELSE
         THETA=SIGN(PI/2,ARG)
      ENDIF

I hope this helps  solving the topology problem.

regards

Marco

--
|Marco Manzan               Email: manzan at units.it            |