[esp-r] SURADJ WARNING?

Andrew Horsford horsford at eastlink.ca
Wed Nov 1 15:47:58 GMT 2006

Hello all,

I don't know what I did, but ever since I created a new zone manually from
vertex-point input (rather than copying an existing zone and THEN changing
the vertices) I've been getting the follwing warnings:

Zone 6 & Surface 1 did not resolve to a known item in the connection list.
Zone 6 & Surface 2 did not resolve to a known item in the connection list.
Zone 6 & Surface 3 did not resolve to a known item in the connection list.
Zone 6 & Surface 4 did not resolve to a known item in the connection list.
Zone 6 & Surface 5 did not resolve to a known item in the connection list.
Zone 6 & Surface 6 did not resolve to a known item in the connection list.
Zone 6 & Surface 7 did not resolve to a known item in the connection list.
SURADJ WARNING: returned connection 0.

...and so on another 7 times. It also does this for another zone adjacent to
it

When I go into the 'Surface Attributes' section for one of the offending
zones, I find that most of the surfaces are either blank or have duplicate
names & construction materials etc as though they've all been copied &
pasted multiple times into the file by hand (I haven't been editing the
files).... Only one of the zones (eg. Surf-3) shows up with any info and
when I went in to re-specify the attributes, all except that surface
(Surf-3) hold on to the most recent change only so I get

Window     dbl_glz      EXTERIOR
Window     dbl_glz      EXTERIOR
Surf-3     Ext Wall      EXTERIOR
Window     dbl_glz      EXTERIOR
Window     dbl_glz      EXTERIOR
Window     dbl_glz      EXTERIOR
Window     dbl_glz      EXTERIOR

Also, when I have one zone open, if I click somewhere in the window (ie. not
selecting an option) it says

Zone [x] surface   [y] is an unknown connection, skipping suredgeadj

and when I go in to look at the vertex list it says that the enclosure is
fully bounded, yet when I exit that menu it always says

Negative or zero zone volume detected. Vertex
information may be in error or surfaces incomplete   [continue]

Since I've only done the zones & no airflow etc yet, I deleted that zone &
the one next to it hoping that that would clear whatever was the problem but
now when I close & re-open the model it gives that error with just about
EVERY surface in EVERY zone! (I haven't checked exhaustively, but it looks
like it) I *really* do not want to have to delete the whole thing & start
from scratch - though I've written down the vertex points so that it'll be
quicker to put them all back again....

The only thing that I can think of that I did between now & before this
started happening was to create a user copy of the Materials & Constructions
databases so that I could put in my own fictitious materials to simulate an
open space between the downstairs & the upstairs in the stairwell, but I
can't see how that would cause this.

Please help!

Thanks,
Andrew Horsford