[esp-r] Re: Effect of adiacent building

Marco Manzan manzan at units.it
Thu May 28 11:28:38 BST 2009

Alle giovedì 28 maggio 2009, esp-r-request at lists.strath.ac.uk ha scritto:

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 17:02:26 +0900
> From: ??? <hwan at dasskorea.com>
> Subject: [esp-r]  Effect of adjacent building
> To: esp-r at lists.strath.ac.uk
>
> Hi everyone
> I am comparing energy performance of 3 glazing.
>
> At first I made up 1 building and copied 2 other buildings from it.
> Copied building has their own tmc and con files and they share opr and ctl
> files with original one.
> Height of building is 7.8 m and distance between buildings is 10m.
> But when same glazing is applied to all 3 buildings, the result was
> interesting.
> Compared to original building, 2 copied buildings occurred 16 % more
> heating load, though there is no obstruction.
> But 2 copied one shows very similar pattern and load.
> When I look at room temperature, the original one has 0.5~2 degree higher
> temperature than copied one.
> copied one shows exactly same pattern. I guess adjacent buildings affected
> the amount of solar penetration.
>
> As a second try, I placed copied building at 30m distance from original
> one. But the result was same. it occurred 16% more heating load than
> original one, and same temperature profile.
>
> Does adjacent buildings affect the other, though I didn't make and activate
> obstructions?
> If not, should 2 building which are close to each with same condition show
> same result?
> In my case, do you have a comment on what I should look to figure out what
> the reason is?
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards
>
> Minhwan

Hi Minhwan

There is no shading effect between builings if you not define it by means of
solar obstructions.
If I understand well you copied the zones of the original building to generate
the additional buildings. The different behavior my be due to a misplaced
control (when the zones are copied the  same .con and .tmc file can be used,
but the .ctl file must be updated defining which control function each zone
uses, after the copy the control function for each copied zone is 0 (free
floating).

hopy this helps yu

Regards
Marco