[esp-r] Re: How to describe desks and furniture inside a zone?

Hall,Monika monika.hall at fhnw.ch
Tue Mar 10 09:07:08 GMT 2009

Dear Lewis Yook,

You can describe objects with hanging surfaces. You must create them in the zone: frontside and backside. Afterwards make the boudary conditions:
The last step is to attribute the boundary conditions of each of these new surfaces. There are two schools of thought:

-          the traditional approach is to assign an adiabatic type to both surface. Thus they act as a thermal sponge, but no heat crosses from one face to the other. In this approach the constructions used should each represent half the thickness of the actual mass of the entity.

-          an alternative approach is to treat the two surfaces as partitions (i.e. connect each to the other). This approach allows heat to flow from the front to the back of the surface as well as acting as thermal mass. For this to work well use a shorter timestep. Hier muss man dann 2x die volle Dicke ansetzen (Leadenhall).

If internal mass has been added to a room it interacts just as any other surface in terms of longwave and shortwave radiation and convection. Consider whether radiation viewfactors should be calculated and also whether you should include a shading/insolation analysis so that sunlight falling on the mass at specific times is properly recorded.

Regards

Monika