[esp-r] Re: Ground source heat pump

Jake Zwart jake.zwart at sympatico.ca
Thu Feb 7 18:19:44 GMT 2008

Hi Roger,

Instead of answering your question, I will go on a bit of a tangent.  My
conduction heat transfer professor was very keen in identifying the best
coordinate system to model a problem in.
So a disc on a half space would be modeled in the oblate spheroidal
coordinate system.
A vertical (well style) heat exchanger in the ground would be modelled in
the prolate spheroidal coordinate system.
A tube buried below the surface of the earth would be modelled in the
bicylinderical coordinate system.
These coordinate systems are well suited to make a miserable 2D or 3D
problem into a 1D or maybe a 2D problem.
The ground tube to ground interface would be an excellent place to use this
approach as it will decrease the dimension of the problem.
If you want to follow up on this type of approach, I would recommend
obtaining a copy of his textbook, "Advanced Heat Conduction".  It has not
yet been published but I am sure he would be happy to make a copy available
for you.  They are available for his graduate students.  If that is of
interest you can contact him using information at
http://www.mme.uwaterloo.ca/research/brochure/yovanovich-br.html.

Jake