[esp-r] Re: Ground source heat pump

Jeffrey Spitler spitler at okstate.edu
Tue Feb 12 07:17:18 GMT 2008

Rodger,
I'm currently on sabbatical at Strathclyde and will be looking at both
the existing esp-r model and at implementing a more generic model of a
vertical U-tube ground heat exchanger model. So perhaps I'm not in the
best position today to answer your question. However, there has been
quite a bit of work done regarding modeling of ground source heat pump
systems and their components which should be of interest.

Jake has recommended starting with a back-to-fundamentals approach.
While this is certainly possible, I could only imagine undertaking this
after due consideration of other previously published models and some
understanding of the multi-scale nature of the problem. This is
especially the case if your ultimate goal is to study GSHP system
performance for a range of building types & locations.

In short, there are two models that have been "widely" used for studies
of the type you are hoping to perform (using a generous definition of
"widely" - say appearing in at least several papers). These would be:

1. The Oklahoma State University model, which is an extension of earlier
work by Eskilson. It was originally implemented in TRNSYS, but we later
switched to HVACSIM+ for several reasons. The original version of the
model appeared here:

Yavuzturk, C., J.D. Spitler. 1999. /A Short Time Step Response Factor
Model for Vertical Ground Loop Heat Exchangers/. ASHRAE Transactions.
105(2):475-485. (This paper and most, but not all, of the OSU papers are
available online at www.hvac.okstate.edu)

The latest version of the model appeared here:
Xu, X., J. D. Spitler. 2006. /Modeling of Vertical Ground Loop Heat
Exchangers with Variable Convective Resistance and Thermal Mass of the
Fluid/. Proceedings of the 10^th International Conference on Thermal
Energy Storage – Ecostock 2006, Pomona, NJ.

An example of the use of the model in the kind of study in which you are
interested is here:

Underwood, C.P. and J.D. Spitler. 2007. /Analysis of vertical ground
loop heat exchangers applied to buildings in the UK/. Building Service
Engineering, Research and Technology. 28: 133-159.

(Another example here: Rees, S.J., J.D. Spitler, Z. Deng, C.D. Orio and
C.N. Johnson. 2004. /A Study Of Geothermal Heat Pump And Standing Column
Well Performance/. ASHRAE Transactions, 110(1):3-13. )

Experimental validation is described here:
Gentry, J.E., J.D. Spitler, D.E. Fisher, X. Xu. 2006. /Simulation of
Hybrid Ground Source Heat Pump Systems and Experimental Validation/.
Proceedings of The 7th International Conference on System Simulation in
Buildings, Liège, Belgium. December 11-13, 2006 and here:
Yavuzturk, C., J.D. Spitler. 2001. Field Validation of a Short Time-Step
Model for Vertical Ground Loop Heat Exchangers. ASHRAE Transactions,
107(1):617-625.

This model has also been implemented in EnergyPlus:
Fisher, D. E., S. J. Rees, S. K. Padhmanabhan, A. Murugappan. 2006.
Implementation and Validation of Ground-Source Heat Pump System Models
in an Integrated Building and System Simulation Environment. HVAC&R
Research. 12(3a):693-710.

2. The model currently used in TRNSYS is based on Goran Hellstrom's
model of an underground thermal energy storage system that originally
appeared in his thesis:
Hellstrom, G. (1991). Ground Heat Storage. Thermal Analyses of Duct
Storage Systems I: Theory. University of Lund, Department of
Mathematical Physics. Lund, Sweden.

Most of the documentation of the TRNSYS model appeared in reports rather
than papers, but they are referenced here:
Thornton, J.W., T.P. McDowell, J.A. Shonder, P.J. Hughes, D. Pahud, and
G. Hellstrom. 1997. Residential vertical
geothermal heat pump system models: calibration to data. ASHRAE
Transactions 103(2): 660–674.

 From a theoretical standpoint, there remains some question as to the
applicability of this model for different configurations of boreholes as
the original model assumed the sort of dense packing that would be done
if your goal was to store energy seasonally. From a practical
standpoint, there have been no experimental studies of sufficient
duration to really determine if this is a significant limitation when
compared to other uncertainties and approximations involved in modeling
ground heat exchangers.

In addition, there are a handful of other models which are intended for
hourly or similar time-step simulation as well as even more models (e.g.
detailed numerical models) which though of some interest, are not really
suitable for direct use in a building simulation program. As this e-mail
is quite long already, I will demur from giving a list of citations.

I hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Jeff Spitler