[esp-r] Re: Zone Conrol Model

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Mon Oct 15 10:29:11 BST 2007

A recent question about setting surface temperatures:  below are
a series of questions about how to fix the exterior surface temperature
within a model.  The core issue is that the temperature of a surface
facing the outside in ESP-r (and most other simulation tools) is
the <<result>> of the various flux exchanges at the outside face.

The 1st attempt used timestep data - but that data is used for
controlling the zone air temperature to a specified point not
for forcing the outside face temperatures to a fixed value.  It might
be that the documentation on this type of temporal entity is
not as clear as it could be.

The 2nd attempt is clever, however it would probably fail even
if there were no issue with the number of zones.  The details
of one or two of the control loops would be necessary to
confirm the mode of failure.

Essentially a zone control allows
you to sense the temperature at a surface and inject or extract
flux near the outside face of the surface - but one would require
a separate loop for each surface in the zone and ESP-r would
not let you have more than one zone control loop associated
with each zone.  There is no existing ideal zone control that
could control the temperature of multiple surfaces.

A point of strategy - if you are exploring a control that is
experimental and/or new to you confirm that it works first
on a shoe-box model.

The second point of strategy is to consider the reason for
fixing the outside surface temperatures - 18 zones
seems much larger than one would typically find in an
emperical test chamber (where it is occassionally necessary
to fix boundary conditions).  There are techniques which can
be used to encourage the outside surface temperature to be
close to a known temperature, but such techniques have
not been used in an 18 zone model.

To plan an appropriate strategy the community is going to need
to know more about what it is that you are trying to represent.

-ESRU