[esp-r] Re: Pressure drop at a sudden enlargement in a pipe

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Tue Feb 20 17:08:15 GMT 2007

A recent question about flow along a conduit that changes shape....

> I am trying to represent the pressure drop at a sudden enlargement,
> in a pipe.  The pipe initially has a triangular cross section and
> then an approximately twice larger square cross section.

This description seems like it would require you to setup a network
that included two sequential connections using the general conduit
component, in each one your would describe the hydrolic diam, roughness
and local loss coefficients.  Some transitions are listed in the duct
design
handbooks as being equivalent to a local loss coefficient and if you
find one that is close to your situation then include that local loss
coefficient with one of the couduit components.

-ESRU