[esp-r] Native windows BETA installer has been updated....

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 1 14:57:02 GMT 2006

We have had a brilliant response to the call for BETA testers
of the native windows installer....six folk have taken it and there
are another 4-5 waiting for me to upload the installer.

And based on the feedeback thus far we have clarified the text
in the installer and changed the font (some machines had
unreadable fonts) and extended the functionality of the installer:

   - It now creates an icon on the desktop that actually looks like
an icon,

   - It sets up an association between model configuration files and
      the esp-r.cmd startup script so that you can click on a model
      configuration file and have it load up.

    - ESP-r now is more likely to find exemplar models that you asked to
      own even if they end up in the Documents and Settings folder.

Other suggestions will take a while, but we will still benefit from
people having a look so let me know if you want to join in the
effort (previous testers can get a fresh copy as well) just let me
(jon at esru.strath.ac.uk) know your email address and name and
I will upload the 38MB installer via the dropload service...

Types of feedback requested:

a) did the installer run  [ yes no]

b) where the messages in the installer helpful [ yes no suggestions....]

c) were the steps clear [ yes no suggestions...]

d) did it create the folders it should have (C:\Esru and C:\GTK)
[ yes no ]

e) did it correctly patch the 'path' variable [ yes no]

f) was it possible to startup ESP-r from the desktop icon [ yes no ]

g) was it possible to browse to the example models in the
     C:\Esru\Models folder an open and play with such models [ yes no
sort-of ]

h) was it possible to 'own' one of the exemplar models - and
    where did it xcopy the files to and was it possible to open
    that model after it was copied and/or click on a cfg file and
    start up the project manager focused on that model  [ yes no sort-
of ]

i) if you are a guru at Inno Setup or ISTool and know how to make the
    installer work better please feel free to make suggestions. We would
    be happy to share the 'iss' file because we can't get it to make
a startup
    menu entry for ESP-r!

j) what was the machine type [   ], OS [   ], memory [  MB], disk
space [  GB]
    you tested the installer on.

THE USUAL DISCLAIMER....

Because it is a BETA installer there is a risk that ESP-r
will not work on a particular machine/OS combination.
Of course volunteers will backup any working version of ESp-r
on their test machines ;-)

Regards, Jon Hand