[esp-r] Re: Windows ESP-r and the use of Linux simulation models

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Nov 1 13:06:19 GMT 2006

> I've been working in Fedora linux but I'd like to try out the
> Windows version. Is the model instantly compatible? I copied the
> model folder out of Linux into Windows (using SMB file-share) but I
> couldn't open the model - it completely yarked and didn't seem to
> know where anything was so the loading of the model failed.

When ESP-r is installed onto a particular computer it edits the
names of the folders and databases in the example files to point to
the folder where ESP-r is to be installed on that computer.

Things were so simple when we forced everyone on every machine
to use the same setup.  Porting ESP-r to Windows and moving
away from '/usr/esru' on other machine types has introduced
some complexity.

New ESP-r models will point to wherever you installed esp-r.  If
you take model to another computer which had esp-r installed in
the same location then there is a strong chance that the model
would work 'out-of-the-box'.  If esp-r had been installed
in a different location then it would probably complain a bit.

When that model is brought across into a Windows box, where
the standard databases are located in C:\Esru\esp-r\databases)
it gets confused.

There is no automated procedures (yet) to update an imported model
to alter the files to point at the databases on the new machine.  There
probably is a way to do this, we just have not thought of it yet so,
in the
interim you are going to have to edit the configuration file.

-Jon