[esp-r] looking for (complete) WIS optical database

Jon Hand (clcv10) jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Thu Sep 7 13:38:25 BST 2006

I am hoping the community might help on this....

We use WIS to generate optical properties for use with ESP-r
models and for some time I have had in mind to populate
the ESP-r optics database.  Typing in numbers gets a bit
tedious so......

Part of this task would be a WIS import facility. That would
be something I suspect that would be welcome by the
community.

I have tried several times to take WIS and update its database
to include the additional glazing types that are available on
the WIS site but it never seems to complete the process. I never
see the new glass type. But perhaps someone else has managed
to do this and if they would share their file with me that would
be wonderful.

And the basic WIS database does not include all that many glazing
systems. There are quite a few products out there that would be good
to have as part of the standard distribution of ESP-r. I never seem
to get the time to make up the glazing systems and confirm the details.
And those of you who have worked with WIS might have populated
your databases beyond what comes in the default WIS distribution.

What I would like....
a) an expanded WIS database with the full set of individual glass
     types
b) some glazing systems which map to what is currently
     available in the marketplace (with descriptions)
c) especially some glazing systems that include blinds
     - at different positions (e.g. open, partly closed)
     - blinds between the glass and room side
     - different kinds of blinds (e.g. opaque metal, translucent,
perforated

With a mix then we can have a look at useful extensions to the
ESP-r data model so that we can do a better job at capturing the
variety of products users might want to use.

Can anyone help?

Would anyone like to help us test the new import facilities when
they become available?

-Jon