[esp-r] Re: Recent ESP-r experience on MacOS

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Mon Dec 7 09:35:13 GMT 2020

Hi Jon,

thank you for the quick response!

> Compilers and ESP-r - although the new OS is allowing gcc10 I have found
> that ESP-r is rather more stable with gcc8.  If you are using homebrew
> on OSX you can install older versions of the compilers in addition to the
> default gcc10.  Gcc10 does not like some of the older code constructs
> in res where it tries to draw a 3D surface plot.
>
> To get better debug information always include --debug  or --extra-debug
> in the Install command line.

It turned out that the segfault was not due to the compiler, but that it
appears if I start prj without a running x-server. On the older machine,
I had it in the background. On the Catalina machine, after starting x, I
was able to run prj, too. I am wondering if one should test for an
xserver before calling xlib functions, which would probably avoid the
error message I got.

> An 'end of record' error is a trying to stuff excess characters into a
> string.
> So your path or file name might be overly long.

Interestingly, I got this error before I entered a file-name.

> I have not yet encountered an issue with a zone that starts with an
> elevation above
> zero so that is a puzzle. As a work-around for the non-zero elevation
> you could start the zone at
> zero and then do a transform of the zone to move it into place.

That is what I am doing for now. If anyone could replicate this, it
might lead to a problem in the processing of geometry though.

Besides that, I found another problem when editing constructions with
cavities. On 13.3.11, prj crashes if I add a "gap" to a construction
right after confirmation to do so. I am able to add the construction to
my construction database using an older version of ESP-r, and then use
the that db with 13.3.11, so this hints at a problem introduced in a
recent update.

Best, Lars.