[esp-r] Complex fenestration

Mohamad Rida mohamad.rida at bauing.uni-kl.de
Fri Mar 8 15:28:11 GMT 2019

Hi,

I am in the process of using the complex fenestration feature in ESP-r.

I am wondering if it is possible to use BSDF data (xml format) generated
form LBNL Window software in ESP-r? The data needed for solar heat gain
calculation through the complex fenestration into the thermal zone as in
TRNSYS and E+.

I found a research paper that presents a method for modelling solar gains
through complex fenestration, reference below, the paper stated the method
is implemented in ESP-r. Is it included in the latest release of ESP-r? Does
the model "cellular_CFC" consider that method?

Kuhn, T. E., Herkel, S., Frontini, F., Strachan, P., & Kokogiannakis, G.
(2011). Solar control: A general method for modelling of solar gains through
complex facades in building simulation programs. Energy and Buildings,
43(1), 19-27.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Mohamad Rida