[esp-r] ESP-r archive

Joe Clarke joe at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 17:55:42 BST 2018

Hi All

There follows a bullet point update on our plans concerning the ESP-r
archive.

·The intention is to make the system visible to all without the need to
become a source code control guru, while also supporting collaborative
developments with proper checking of what goes into the archive.

·Both source code and a debian distribution (Linux only) will henceforth
be made available from the ESRU Web site, with updates merged and posted
within a week of receipt.

·Before re-releasing the code next week, we have taken the opportunity
to make some cosmetic changes (e.g. reconnecting the different parts of
the distribution, beginning to remove the unnecessary ‘esru’ string in
various places, rationalising the install script, redefining defaults etc.).

·BUT NOTE THAT NO CHANGES HAVE BEEN MADE TO THE SOURCE CODE RELATIVE TO
THE VERSION TAKEN FROM GITHUB ON 14 JUNE 2018.

·Should you wish to contribute new code in future, I would request that
you inform me of your development intention and the envisaged timeline.
I will then prevent others from working on the same code during that
period, handle the merge on receipt of the new code, ensure the new
feature is independently tested, and post the new version along with
upgrade notes.

·The aim is to support the development of significant new functionality
at a faster pace than we have managed in recent times.

·Our intention is to launch the new procedure next week after some
essential testing has taken place.

Please bear with us.

Regards,

Joe

__
Professor J A Clarke
Director, ESRU and BRE Centre of Excellence
Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
James Weir Building
75 Montrose Street
University of Strathclyde