[esp-r] program about reflections on obstructions

Gian Luca Brunetti gianluca.brunetti at polimi.it
Sun Jun 28 21:32:11 BST 2015

Dear ESP-r users,
I have written a program that modifies the diffuse shading factors in
the ESP-r's ".shda" files to take into account the effect of the direct
and indirect reflections on solar obstructions.

I have uploaded the program, "modish.pl", on figshare:
http://figshare.com/articles/modish_pl/1466767 . It is a Perl program
operating through the shell.

It modifies the shading factors on the basis of irradiance ratios
derived from the irradiances obtained from (a) a fictitious model having
black surfaces and unmodified obstructions and (b)  a fictitious model
having black surfaces and black obstructions. The irradiances are
calculated through Radiance via e2r.

The approach does not aim to be suitable for ordinary situations, but
for situations in which the necessity of taking into account reflections
from obstructions is very high, like when solar reflectors having high
view factors of the given surfaces are in play in summer outside the
thermal zones. It is at least an attempt.

An explanation of how the program works is included in the comments at
the beginning of it.

I would be glad if somebody feeling like trying the program and
comparing the results produced by ESP-r +modish.pl and, and, for
instance, EnergyPlus in problems characterized by the presence of
substantial reflectors sent me a feedback about his/her impressions as
regards the viability of this approach. I have not tried yet.

Thank you in advance for your attention.

Best regards

Gian Luca Brunetti

--
Gian Luca Brunetti