[esp-r] Re: Query: Spatial resolution

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Thu Feb 26 16:54:42 GMT 2015

Users are in charge of defining the CFD domain gridding (and we are just testing out
code that supports multiple CFD domains in a model). The current implementation
the grid the user defines is used throughout the assessment. It is not possible to alter
the definition of the grid during the assessment, however boundary conditions and
wall functions are re-evaluated at each timestep and of course heat into cells picked
up during the assessment is tracked.

The ground model would have a fixed definition of the grid and the thermophysical properties
of associated entities.  So one could not have 'mud' in the ground at one time of the assessment
and dust at a different point of the assessment with the current implementation.  Similarly
a temporary leak in a pipe in the ground could not be corrected during an assessment.

And if you really are passionate about altering how ESP-r works it is distributed under GPL
and you can alter the code and you can run it in a single-step debug mode to see exactly
how the solution is progressing and test out new ideas.

And I have created ESP-r models where the extrusions of the facade are explicitly treated
as zones so some aspects of geometry of facades could be treated at a user defined
level.  There is also a 2D and 3D conduction model - but almost no one remembers how
to use that.

Can you tell us more about [fine meshed spatial grid]?

Regards, Jon Hand