[esp-r] Re: Flow chart of how esp-r works

Jake Zwart jake.zwart at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 16 14:47:09 BST 2014

I have used Salome-Meca for an FEA project.  I have used esp-r for a
different project.

Salome-Meca integrates open source Salome as a graphical preprocessor, and
open source Code Aster as the FEA engine.

Code Aster is unique in that it uses python to call the different FEA
modules.  What it also allows is the use of open source Code Saturne for a
CFD analysis, or it can call both Code Aster and Code Saturne modules for a
coupled FEA/CFD analysis.

Once I learned this, I thought that if esp-r can be called by the python
script, that would be a really neat and powerful addition to be able to
answer questions that otherwise would be hard.  For instance, the Canadians
developed empirical equations for basement simulation, called BaseSimp,
using FEA.  But if you have a geometry that is not covered by these
empirical equations, being able to use FEA coupled with esp-r for your
basement simulation and envelop simulation would be a real asset.

It sounds like your simulation is similar.

I know OpenFoam is a more popular open CFD package, but not sure if it would
integrate in as nice a way that Code Aster and Code Saturn integrate using
the python script calls.

Jake Zwart

  _____