[esp-r] Re: Adding HRV to model

Alex Giroux asgiroux at uwaterloo.ca
Thu Dec 5 18:27:47 GMT 2013

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, simply reducing the air flow isn't
going to work. We're looking at both sensible and latent loads within the
zone, and reducing the airflow will also reduce the amount of moisture
brought in from the outside.

I need to find a way to precondition my ventilation air without affecting
the amount of moisture being brought into the zone. Right now I'm trying to
see if I can set up a second zone in my model as the "plant" - the plant
zone will bring in exterior supply air at a given flow rate, heat it, and
then the main zone will draw all it's ventilation air directly from the
plant zone. If I'm understanding this correctly, I can set up the control
loop in the plant zone to provide sensible control only, so the air
entering the main zone will have the same humidity ratio as the exterior
air.

Is this something that anyone has done before? Is there any other way to
set up an HRV in ESP-r without explicitly modelling all the heating and
cooling equipment within a zone?

Thanks.