[esp-r] Re: simulation toggles from command line (implicit explicit schemes)

Ferguson, Alex Alex.Ferguson at NRCan-RNCan.gc.ca
Fri Aug 2 14:49:17 BST 2013

Revision 6485 on development_branch added the capability you're looking for:

http://espr.trac.cvsdude.com/esp-r/changeset/6485/branches/development_branch

To use it, add the following to your .cfg file (typically below the *clm/*stdmscldb/*stdpdb/*stdsbem tags):

    *sim-toggle bld-soln-implicitness   1.000

I'm not sure about your motivations for using the fully-implicit solution, but I added this feature because I observed the default Crank-Nicolson often produces undamped oscillations in the predicted zone heat injection and extraction. Users are often oblivious because --- by default --- ESP-r runs with time-step-averaging enabled. But the oscillations to produce tangible effects when you add an explicit or implicit plant model with non-linear performance curves or discrete operating modes. HVAC energy consumption predictions can be inaccurate as well.

When stable, the Crank-Nicolson method is more efficient and more accurate than the fully-implicit method. But the fully-implicit method is unconditionally stable. It approximates the true analytic solution as long as the time steps are sufficiently small.

For these reasons, I use the fully implicit method at all times, and I specify a smaller-than-necessary time step. It's inefficient, but I have more confidence in the results.

- Alex