[esp-r] slab-on-grade hydronic floor in a solar heating system

Ida Auråen ida.auraen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 14:55:49 BST 2013

Hello.

I have a question regarding slab-on-grade hydronic floor under the "plant
and systems" menu.

I'm trying to create a solar heating system with the following components:
1) "simplified flat plate solar collector",
2) "Variable speed domestic WHC pump" and
3) "slab-on-grade hydronic floor".

I have linked all these three components and defined where heat is being
injected in the zone. I have also set up the control loop with sensor,
actuator and defined period data. But when I want to run a simulation
and check the results I just get a message saying "Library is incomplete or
corrupt... Do you want to - attempt to continue (DANGEROUS) or - give up?"

I don't understand what is wrong.

I know that a former student at my University has built up a similar
system, instead of a hydronic floor, he used a hot water tank, and he
managed to run simulations. He had 4 connections, and not 3 as I have. But
I don't understand why one would the fourth connection..?

He had the following connections:

recieving comp. - sending comp.:

Solar collector - Pump (mass frac.: 1, temp: 0)
Hot water tank - Solar collector (mass frac.: 1, temp: 0)
Pump - Hot water tank (mass frac.: 1, temp: 0)
Hot water tank - Pump (mass frac.: 0, temp: 20)

He told me that he found a similar connection in one of esp-r exemplar
models, therefore he implemented it in his model. But I haven't found it
myself.

My question is:

What kind of connections are needed to run simulations for a system with a
solar collector, pump and hydronic floor?

I am still a novice using ESP-r, so any replies would be appreciated.

Regards, Ida Auråen