[esp-r] Re: radiator modelling

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed Dec 19 17:15:51 GMT 2012

An abstract representation of a radiator would be to use an ideal zone control
which has a mixed sensor and a mixed actuator (radiant & convective).  One of
the models included in the source (src/validation/DSM/stone_simi_1890) uses
this kind of representation for a WCH system.  It certainly provides the rough
kind of control one gets with TRV (which are strongly influenced by the
radiant environment in the room) and radiators in rooms (most conventional
radiators mostly act as convectors).

The thin zone approach could be done - the side next to the wall would be
(from the outside to the inside)  wall stuff, air gap, metal.
The side facing the room would be just metal.  Set high hc inside the
thin zone.  Be careful about the control.  You are actuating in one zone
but sensing conditions in another zone.  The combination is a bit of a
mind-twister.