[esp-r] radiator modelling

Andrew Cowie cn06arc at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Dec 19 15:13:41 GMT 2012

Hi all,

I'm trying to model a bog standard radiator in a one-room model.  At the moment im using the thin-zone approach as detailed in exemplar rad_rooms_heat, however it has occurred to me that when a panel is inserted into a surface to link with the thin-zone, it replaces as opposed to augments the construction of the wall that it is on, as obviously it needs to be only a very thin conductive construction for the model to work.  I have found that this actually has a noticable effect when the radiant panel is on the external face of the room.

So my question is this: is there a more explicit way to model a radiator in ESP-r without building a plant network? (i don't really want to use a plant network as a. it seems rather like overkill to create a whole network simply for one element and b. it only introduces more assumptions and complexity into my model)  Basically all that is required is a radiant panel (retaining the construction of the wall behind it) that is maintained at a constant supply temperature; i am not particularly fussed about control laws.  If it is possible to also model heat transfer with the wall behind it this would be ideal, though i appreciate that this would necessitate changing the heat transfer in the fabric from 1-D to 3-D.

Thanks,
Andy Cowie