[esp-r] Re: Time steps and embedded heating cooling within a construction.

Sébastien Brideau sebastien.brideau at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 15:45:44 GMT 2012

Hi,

Further to what has been said already:

We have found that the radiant_floor model can have convergence issues at
very small time steps (less than 2 minutes).  This is using a concrete slab
though, and we haven't tried it with a very thin (low thermal capacity)
construction.  I have not look into the reasons why convergence issues are
happening at small time steps, but I do not see the point of modelling at
anything less than a few minutes interval for most cases anyways, so it has
worked well for us.

Here is a paper on the development of the radiant slab model in ESP-r.
http://archive.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/obj/irc/doc/pubs/nrcc46099/nrcc46099.pdf

Regards,

Sébastien Brideau