[esp-r] Re: How work with .WEA files in ESP-r?

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Wed May 16 08:20:02 BST 2012

Below you will find a step by step guide for performing a weather file
conversion from the EnergyPlus EPW file format to an ESP-r weather
file if you are working with the Native Windows version of
ESP-r.  A similar (but less verbose) description is included in the
ESP-r Cookbook (available on the ESRU ESP-r web download
site).  The instructions work with the most recent version of ESP-r
(I can send a link to an installer for this if requested).

Regards, Jon Hand

Steps needed to convert weather data sets from the EnergyPlus weather site into
ESP-r climate files if you are using the Native Windows version of ESP-r.

The EnergyPlus weather site includes a .zip file for each weather location. In
the zip file are files with endings such as .audit .ddy .epw .info .stat. What
we are interested in is the file with the .epw extension.

Extract the file with the .epw extension to a known location such as C:/TEMP
or C:/Esru/esp-r/climate. Users of ESP-r on other computer types have command
line options for converting weather files but for the Native Windows version
you should just start the ESP-r weather module clm (it is located
in the C:/Esru/esp-r/bin or C:/Esru/esp-r/bin_graphic folder).

When the clm module starts it presents a list of the weather locations it
already knows about. At the bottom of the list is an option '* new climate db'
choose this and use the file browser to change the folder (see below) and then
type in the name of the new ESP-r weather file to be created e.g. USA-Cali-Alfonso.

Your choice of folder for the new weather file might be C:/Esru/esp-r/climate
(where all the other ESP-r climate files are located) or you might want to
choose the dbs folder of an ESP-r model that will be referencing the weather
file.

The clm module will present a menu titled Weather Analysis and the option (k)
provides acess to a facility to import weather data from a text file (the .epw
file). Choose option k and then confirm that it is an EPW weather file that
you wish to import.  User the file browser to locate the .epw file that you
downloaded and saved.  After a few seconds the Weather Analysis menu will
re-display.  There will likely be an EOF sensed warning in the lower
dialog. This is expected as the end-of-file .epw file was reached.

Now check that the climate data has been correctly scanned. Use the
option 'd graphic analysis' option and look at the whole year. One at
a time plot the climate data to check that the values are ok.

If the data looks good then you have a correct ESP-r weather file. This
file is actually in a binary format that the simulator module of ESP-r
can read but which may not be readable on other computers. Before
leaving the clm module you should create an ASCII version of the ESP-r
weather file. Choose option 'j export to text file' and confirm that
it is to be an ASCII esp-r file.  It will suggest a file name (ending
with .a) in the same folder as the binary ESP-r file. The ASCII version
can be sent to other people and converted for use on other computer
operating systems.