[esp-r] Re: problem with the addition of its own code in the Fortran programming language

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Apr 13 11:32:11 BST 2012

Achim had some good comments.  Some background that you might consider...

For more than a decade ESRU has welcomed researchers who wish to extend
the facilities of ESP-r.  Typically we do this by either joint research projects or
via researchers visiting ESRU and discussing their work and staff giving a bit
of ad-hoc support. Some people even end up doing PhDs here.

There is a developers guide which provides some advise on coding standards
and there is a development community who often help each other and there
is a strong element of testing and code documentation which ensures that
new facilities/code does not break existing code and/or models.

And, given that ESP-r includes around 2 million lines of code learning to work with it
requires considerable commitment.  And there is an expectation of a certain
level of computer language skills involved. If you are serious then it might be
useful to get you and your management/supervisor discussing with others in
the development community.  And you project might require that you join
the development community with your own source code branch.

A first step is to clearly describe your goals.  It might be that there is already
a way to accomplish your goals with little or no coding interventions.  ESP-r
is a simulation environment in which there are many possible approaches to
building and system assessment tasks.

Also, your email has a name but no contact information or affiliations. Tell
us more about your work and your group/company!

Regards, Jon Hand