[esp-r] Re: New project

Jon Hand jon at esru.strath.ac.uk
Fri Mar 30 08:54:16 BST 2012

Welcome to the ESP-r club!

It would be helpful to say what version of ESP-r you are using and what computer
operating system you are using.

Some answers below (look for ::)

I draw the building in auto-cad ( two thermal zones - two layers) and I save it as dxf file to import it to ESP-r but there are some problems with the process I think. I wrote the complete path to the file and still the program did not recognized the location and the file .
 I asked one of our friends from here and he explained to me some procedures but still I have the same problems. I tried to look in cookbook ad he advised me but still there is no direct steps to do with explanations .
What should I do ?

:: you need to give the full explicit path to the DXF file.  It is also a good idea to set the feedback level
in the project manager to verbose so that if there are issues when the DXF file is scanned you have a
better idea of what the issue is.  Many drawing files cannot be read because they are largely composed of
block entities rather than 3D polylines.  The conversion process from DXF was worked on late in 2011
so make sure you are using a newer version of ESP-r.

:: the alternative approach that many people use is to export the CAD as a bitmap image and
use the click-on-bitmap approach which is discussed in the ESP-r Cookbook.

In the same way , I opened a new file and in latitude and longitude I put a figures for Saudi arabia which are 20 - 48 , but the note which came  that i have to change the longitude to be less than 16 !! Is it depend in the hour deferences ?

:: longitude in ESP-r is expressed as the degrees from the local time zone.

I need a supervisor to my project from here , I need explanations with photos .. Who will be able to contact with me? I'll be very glad for that.

:: The ESP-r Cookbook is a good source of information.  There are also some short video tutorials
that deal with some training issues - links can be sent if you are interested.

:: If you intend to do serious research using ESP-r and your PhD is dependent on a good
knowledge of ESP-r then would it be possible for you to visit ESRU in Glasgow to make
a plan for your work?

Best regards

Sent from my iPhone